Custer County Recycles
Custer County Recycling Facility Information
Custer County’s Recycling Facility is located just east when entering the main landfill entrance.
The recycling facility is free to the public and is helped in large part to volunteers from High Country Recycling. To volunteer go to www.highcountryrecycling.com
To continue this free service, please deposit clean, loose material (do not toss material in plastic bags) into the correct receiving window.
Do not contaminate the recycling by including items that are not being accepted, such as plastic bags, plastic containers, and scrap metal.
Custer County Recycles accepts ONLY the following materials:
• Cardboard, including cereal & cracker boxes (remove plastic liners – empty & flatten). Brown paper grocery/shopping bags & dark brown packing paper.
• Newspaper, including newsprint packing paper – NO packing tissue. Separate from mixed paper.
• Mixed paper, includes copy paper, loose (open) mail, magazines, and catalogs – tape, labels, and plastic windows OK
NO shredded paper, paper clips, or metal binders.
• *Steel food cans – clean & empty (labels OK).
NO aerosol cans.
NO steel containers that contained toxic chemicals, cleaners, etc..
All steel (other than cans that once contained food) can be placed in scrap metal roll-off.
• *Aluminum beverage cans and pet food aluminum containers (labels OK)
NO aerosol cans.
NO metal containers that contained toxic chemicals, cleaners, etc..
*Please use the magnets located at the bottom of the receiving windows to determine if the material is steel or aluminum.
If can sticks to the magnet, it is steel. If it does not, it is aluminum.
Please note: All scrap metal should be placed in the roll-off next to the trash drop-off. If in doubt, ask.
Scrap metal can destroy recycling equipment.
The hours of operation are:
Tuesday through Friday 8 am - 4 pm
Saturday *8 am - 12 pm
Sunday and Monday Closed
*Recycling facility is closed the Saturday before a Monday holiday closure.
* The recycling facility will be closed during high wind days.